Over at a lovely blog called The Traveler's Lunchbox, a "project" has been started where numerous bloggers are each contributing 5 things you must eat before you die. I may not be much of a blogger, but I felt compelled to join in the fray with my 5 things. One caveat, I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll think of something I can't believe I forgot, so I'm just going to fire this off quickly, like peeling a band-aid.
- Idli Sambar
- For the uninitiated it's a innocent rice dough patty (Idli) that you dunk in a fantastic sauce (Sambar). Best if served by a friend's grandmother on a visit to southern India, but pretty darn good at most South Indian restaurants. You will be laughed at by Indian friends if you pull out a spoon and finish off the Sambar, but it's so delicious it's worth it!
Lucy's Saigon Sandwich
- Called by many names, "Vietnamese Hoagie" or "Banh Mi". I've only ever had them served up by Lucy from her sidewalk grill in the Strip District of Pittsburgh, but these sandwiches are the perfect combination of grilled chicken, cilantro, hot peppers and other goodies, and I eat them as often as I can.
- In-N-Out Burger
- This one has to make my list. It might not be the best burger in the world, but it's amazing fast food, and I find myself going out of my way to find them every time I end up on the Left Coast. I prefer the Double Double.
- Dry aged steak
- I always thought this was a scam to mark up the price on steaks, until I had one. An authentic dry aged steak cooked well is heaven.
- Fresh Pesto Sauce
- I am a basil addict, and this is how I mainline.